Future of Church in America- St Anthonys

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Future of Church in America- St Anthonys

Postby Les Sherwood » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Post 4/16/08
On Monday, 4/13, the NYT ran an article entitled “…a Pained and Uncertain Church Awaits Pope Benedict”. I am sure many other papers had similar stories. If you did not see it I think you might find it interesting.
Some of what I thought are some of more important points included:
• Many dioceses in the U.S. are mourning the loss of parishes and parochial schools they grew up in- elementary, junior and high schools that have provided a rigorous education for generations of Catholics and non-Catholics.
• A shortage of priests, insufficient funds to maintain aging churches, demographic changes are among the factors that impact closings.
• On the other hand, many parishes are healthy, and some are growing wit h the influx of immigrants, especially Hispanics.
After reading the article I found satisfaction that St. Anthony’s appears to be one of the healthy ones, albeit not without its challenges.
Recently, prior to a 100th anniversary reunion committee, Ed D and I went to mass there-
~30 years since I last attended mass there, although I had enjoyed many mud-bowl celebrations over the years in the auditorium.

Arrived, a little late, I was pleasantly surprised to see a full church and a very active congregation. The efforts of Fr. Kelly and more recently Fr. Piderit have borne fruit in helping keeping the parish healthy as well as many active parishioners e.g. Carmen, Margaret, and quite a few people who remained in the area.
Also, recently I walked around the neighborhood near the church and I was impressed how well kept-up were the private home-critical to a neighborhood. Many times after visiting the city, I would drop by the neighborhood (which I understand many do), particularly Taylor Ave, Archer St, etc, and I was not too impressed with state of apartment houses, the park, school yard, however next time I want to look closer at the whole neighborhood .
It appears that the neighborhood has been quite revitalized esp. after 70’s and 80’s.
I think the upcoming reunion will have a positive impact on the neighborhood.
One thinks about how former residents can help to keep the church/school and neighbor hood in good shape. The most obviously action is to help in financial ways. However, with most people strapped with high costs of raising families, and what seems like for everything else, it appears those who were more successful in their endeavors will have to play the major role here( and many do now).
Many make contributions to their high schools and colleges in recognition of what they received. But what about the elementary schools which were critical in our formative years?
In addition to contributions, which do not have to be large when many are involved, what other things we can we do. Being involved in reunion, and other parish activities? What do you think the effect of one former parishioner family attending a Sunday mass each week?
But more importantly what do you think?
Please excuse verbosity.
Les Sherwood

Return to Stratton Park